Almost everyone has moments of uncertainty or unanswered questions going through their mind. Sometimes you bear the answers to these questions yourself. To tap into your inner sensei and get out of a rut, you need to have a sit-down with yourself and really listen.
Journaling has been proven productive, among ways to practice self-care. It also evokes a state of mindfulness; by stopping to recognize your thoughts, actions and feelings, you are able to live in the moment. Citing past frustrations also gives you a clearer picture of the future.
Ahead is a list of 50 journal prompts that will help you find your ‘why’, know yourself more and reflect on certain aspects of your life.
If you are not that much into journaling, you can use the list as a guide for self-reflection; as you read through each point, answer the question in your head and take time to self-analyze. Your speed-reading abilities need not be applicable here. Take one point a day, to give each one of them the attention it deserves.
“At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want.”
― Lao Tzu
1. 5 things you are grateful for.
2. How would you describe yourself to a stranger?
3. 10 things you are really good at.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
5. What are you doing today to ensure that you get there?
6. What toxic habits do you need to let go of?
7. Come up with 5 ways that you can get out of your comfort zone.
8. What is your definition of happiness?
9. Write down 15 positive affirmations (e.g. I am beautiful…)
10. If you could get a yes/no-answer to anything, what would you ask?
11. List down 3 hobbies.
12. Who/what is your biggest inspiration? Why?
13. Your favorite place in the world? Why?
14. What would you do if you knew you couldn’t fail?
15. Describe your ideal ‘dream life’.
16. Write down the ways you show yourself love.
17. Write a letter to your younger self.
18. What are the 5 flaws that you choose to accept? Find something positive about them.
19. Write down 5 goals that you wish to accomplish before the year ends.
20. A self-care routine that you want to stick to.
21. Write down 20 things that you know for sure (especially ones that you didn’t know a year ago).
22. Highlight the limiting beliefs that are holding you back.
23. What are the distractions hindering your productivity? How can you reduce them?
24. What do you need more of in your life?
25. Describe yourself in 3 words (adjectives).
26. Reflect on your worst moments in life…how did they shape the person you are today?
27. When was the last time you did something for the first time? How did it make you feel?
28. Describe your ideal day.
29. What’s the one thing you’ve always wanted to do, but haven’t yet?
30. What are the things/activities that give you a feeling of importance? Do more of those.
31. What is one flaw that you can’t seem to accept? Make peace with it.
32. Write about the best piece of advice you’ve ever received.
33. Reflect on the different roles you play in life (partner, parent, sibling, friend, son/daughter…). How good are you at them?
34. What are you most proud of in your life?
35. What are your strengths? How can you use them to get ahead in life?
36. What is your biggest pet peeve?
37. What do you look for in a friend/partner? Does your current friend(s)/partner possess these qualities? If no, why are you keeping them anyway?
38. How do you deal with your problems? Is it healthy?
39. If you could only keep 3 of the things you have today, what would they be and why?
40. Arrange in order of importance; money, health, family.
41. What keeps you awake at night?
42. If you could go back in time, what would you change and why?
43. What’s your MBTI personality type?
44. Make a bucket list…do something this month to tick off at least one thing.
45. Describe your ‘dream job’.
46. In hindsight write about a blessing in disguise.
47. What do you often get complimented on?
48. What are your current struggles?
49. What’s one song, book or TV show that changed your life in a way? How?
50. If you could go to the happiest place on earth (doesn’t have to be Disney), who would you take with you? Why?
Have fun journaling!